Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Last Night's Bottle - Leo Family Red

I originally couldn't recall if someone gave this as a gift or I bought it myself but then it finally dawned on me that we purchased @ the Winemaker Studio the last trip out. Either way, we drank the bottle dry. 

This is the first and so far, only wine released under the Leo Family label. A blend made of sustainably farmed grapes: 80% Merlot, 7% Syrah, 6% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon from the North Fork of Long Island. Aged 18 months in French and Hungarian oak, released spring 2011.

A robust, smokey, woodsy blend with undertones of fruit (prune & berry) & spice (clove).  Very well balanced with low acidity & tannins.

Paid $40 which is above my usual budget but I feel worth every penny.  My only regret was that I didn't overcelebrate (i.e. drink way too much) all weekend with the family & friends. I would have enjoyed it a little more if I wasn't fighting off the after effects of my weekend long bender. Will have to better observe my limitations next time.

Cheers.
-ES


No comments:

Post a Comment