Thursday, February 16, 2012

Last Night's Bottle - 90+ Cellars 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon

After a long day on campus trying to figure out how the heck managerial accounting is going to change my life, the need for a good bottle of wine afterward increases tenfold.  I often spend time roaming the aisles of the wine store like a homeless person wanders the streets of Manhattan. 

This week I stumbled upon the "staff pick of the week" display (which is a fancy way of saying overstock) only to find the entire cache of 90+ Cellars on sale for a few bucks off the regular price.  So yeah, it's safe to say I took the bait and ran with it.

Let me get this out of the way and say that this bottle was a homerun.  Or at the very least, a booming triple off the wall in deep right.

It was somewhat surprising to find a scent consistent with a warm spiciness, tart raspberry & oak.  Upon reading the bottle, they hit on black raspberry, red currant, tobacco & toasty oak.  That's pretty close.

The wine is full for a medium bodied red . Rich & dark with an almost smoky, deep reaching, fruit flavor.  In sum, it has a distinctly masculine feel.  Without question this would couple well with juicy red steak or a fine cigar in a leather chair. 

So perhaps I just needed a good drink after staring at numbers all day or maybe I've been drinking too much organic stuff lately. In either scenario, this was a nice chance of pace.  I wish I had bought more.

Until next time...

Cheers,
ES



No comments:

Post a Comment