Saturday, December 10, 2011

Last Night's Bottle - Colores del Sol 2009 Malbec

The holiday season has officially begun. Last weekend turned out to be what felt like one of the longest ever with my cousin in town and I must say my old bones are still paying for it days later.  Or it could just be that I have been pre-emptively training before I dominate the holiday dinner table in two weeks. Either way, I'm psyched for the holidays.

Last night I sampled a bottle of Colores del Sol Malbec for the very first time.  I most likely bought it wandering around the wine store looking for something different to try.  This was probably one of my better blind purchases.

From the bottle:
The vineyards producing Colores del Sol, in Argentina's most famous Mendoza region, are among the highest, sunniest, and driest in the world. This memorable Malbec brims with the enticing aromas and robust flavors of dark cherry, juicy blackberry & delicate rose petals. Sweet oak & mocha notes, with hints of smoke, glide over rounded tannins for a bold , full-bodied wine.

From my senses to your eyes:
A plum, blueberry & floral nose. Initially there is a subtle sweetness with a smokey bite. Low acidity, somewhat on the lighter side, but ultimately smooth & supple on the palate with a soft finish. $6.99

I tend to be drawn to some of the S.American wines based on price alone.  And in this instance I am pleased to report that I made a fine choice.  Based on the value & quality this wine is an easy buy. For those looking at less expensive bottles, I would surely recommend the Colores del Sol.

Until next time, happy tasting!

-ES




No comments:

Post a Comment