Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last Night's Bottle - Coppola 2009 Diamond Claret

As time goes on I'm getting much better at this.  Not the blogging, but the drinking. I used to only drink wine coolers & zima (insert sarcasm here), but now I blog about wine...go figure.

So as the title states, I popped yet another bottle of vino last night before wrapping multiple strands of white lites around the most oddly shaped Christmas tree in recent memory. I suppose I should have taken a picture to share with the group.

*This is not my tree.*

Coppola 2009 Diamond Claret
 
Winemaker's notes:
2009 was an excellent vintage that featured only light spring rain, warm summer weather and no abrupt climate changes at season's end. This allowed us to be highly selective during harvest, choosing the very best fruit only when completely ripe. The result of these amazing conditions is a perfectly balanced and elegantly textured wine with supple tannins, rich fruit concentration and alluring notes of spice and wood. It is a lovely accompaniment to filet mignon topped with bleu cheese, grilled lamb chops or truffle buttered potatoes.

My notes:
Nose consistent of fruity flavor with a helping of spice.  Well balanced & buttery with a perfect blend of acidity. Subtle oakiness (thats right I said, oakiness) with a sweetish & savory finish. $18.99

Grape for grape, Coppola puts out some of the most recognizable and well rounded wines for the value.  I rarely if ever find myself saying, "This wine kinda sucks".  While I will state that some of their pricier bottles are not that much better than their more common brands, the label itself is always a standard in my rack.

That's all for now.

Until next time,
ES



No comments:

Post a Comment