Thursday, January 26, 2012

Last Night's Bottle - Palmer 2007 Merlot

A few weeks ago I misplaced some notes I made about the Palmer 2007 Merlot.  And last night I discovered that we had another bottle on the rack and that it was time to do it all over again.  Then a funny thing happened on my way to the computer, I found my original notes.  The good news is that not much had changed since the last time which proves to me that I'm pretty consistent with my reviews.  As for my overall mental capacity, that remains horribly inconsistent.

Palmer 2007 Merlot

For those outside of LI, Palmer is one of the large scale premier wineries of the NoFo.  I also heard recently (within the last year) that they were currently up for sale.  Had I known, I wouldn't have spent my millions in the bars of upstate NY as an undergrad.

As for the wine.

I have found many LI wines to be especially earthy.  Obviously there is a distinct characteristic to the soil here.  But in many cases the reds seem to be under ripe.  The flavors aren't as rich as I would hope.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's mainly a matter of preference.

The Palmer possesses an earthy aroma with notes of plum & oak.  The wine is soft with tannins, fleshy with flinty undertones and a modest amount of acidity.

Upon final thought, I found it to be flat & somewhat simple.  The flavors were not as layered as I would have preferred.  And as previously mentioned, somewhat underdeveloped.  Having tried most if not all of the Palmer offerings I would suggest passing on the Merlot. On the other hand, I strongly recommend their Sauvignon Blanc.  It is by far one of my favorites of the East End.  And if you have the time get out to their tasting room, it too should not be missed.

Until next time...

Cheers,
ES



No comments:

Post a Comment