Friday, January 27, 2012

Last Night's Bottle - Wolffer Estate 2007 Pinot Noir

The new first semester starts tomorrow & I have been drinking more this week in anticipation of what lies ahead in addition to the fact that I won't be able to check in as often once I have "real" work to do.

So for my final hurrah before the work kicks in we decided to blast open another bottle of LI's finest, the Wolffer Estate 2007 Pinot Noir.  If I'm not mistaken, this was a pickup from last year's birthday bender.

Wolffer Estate 2007 Pinot Noir

Strong mineral, spice & tobacco aromas jump from the glass and up your nose like a punch in a bar fight.  Ok, perhaps it's a bit more subtle than that.  The bouquet is lively and I'll simply leave it at that.

Smooth flavors of vanilla, oak & dark fruits lend themselves to richer than expected tannins.  A medium bodied wine with a lean long finish.

I found the wine to be somewhat lacking in texture, but the bottle still possessed admirable character.  Generally speaking, pinot tends to be a stubborn grape to harvest & perfect in winemanking.  Obviously, there are storied vineyards that have the edge over the LI offerings simply based on climate and experience alone.  But Wolffer does a fine job of producing a classy yet distinctive pinot noir on the South Fork, that's right...South Fork of the island.  For what LI wines have to offer in this category, I would rate this as a buy.  Easily this wine is better served over dinner than to hand off to those greedy guests who only stop by because they know you don't skimp out when it comes to the juice.

So until next time...wish me luck.  I'm off to learn more about how to get rich and die trying.

Cheers,
ES


No comments:

Post a Comment