Thursday, March 22, 2012

Last Night's Bottle - Antigal 1 Malbec 2008

Before I go on, it's important for me to point out:

1.I didn't really drink this bottle last night

and

2.I'm not entirely sure if this is Antigal "One" or Antigal "Uno".  Choose at your own risk.

Anyway...this is a really pretty bottle of wine. I say "pretty" because I don't necessarily have any more descriptives worthy of mention.  If I have mentioned this before, please forgive me for saying it again, but so much of the wine I've been drinking lately has really been lacking in depth.  I suppose that maybe it has to do with the price point. On the other hand, I've had some really good wine for less than $20 some even less than $15 and even a very select few closer to $10.  Therefore, I refuse to use price point as an excuse for lousy wine.

Speaking of lousy...uh, I mean inexpensive pretty wine, Antigal comes in a dark and ominous bottle with a very fancy plastic #1 strapped to it.  It is most definitely an eye catcher if nothing else.  As for the wine inside, it would only be fair to say that it wasn't entirely bad.  It had a deep violet color which I have come to expect from most Malbec wines.  Aromas of blackberry & dark rich fruit were certainly enticing.  Yet the mouth was drier than expected, the oak was mild, yet the fruit was consistent with the dark red berry nose. 

But as I said before, there was a lack of depth.  The flavors that were there tended to drop off rather than than linger.  There was a somewhat synthetic feel to it.  Not in the sense that I was drinking chemicals, but when you taste something natural it should tend to stick around for awhile.  That was not the case here.

With that, I'd rate this wine a pass.  There is more to be had for less.  Of course I would never suggest not trying something if it interests you,  but if $15 means more to you than a mediocre wine in a pretty bottle I have said my part.

Until next time...

Cheers,
ES


No comments:

Post a Comment