Thursday, August 18, 2011

Next Stop: The Old Field Vineyards Part 2 of 3

Our second stop of the day was @ The Old Field Vineyards in Old Field.  Where Baiting Hollow is located at the beginning of the wine line, Old Field is situated at the end.


Upon entering the white gates and down the dirt road you can see that the converted barn is going to be full of character.  The type of character you would expect of Long Island's seemingly long lost agricultural roots.  And much like the understated beauty of the grounds, OFV is quietly making their name on reputation alone.  It is my understanding that their wines are sold exclusively through the tasting room.





OFV started first with it's Pinot Noir and now produces a variety of Merlot, Cab Franc, Chardonnay, Blush de Noir, and what I overheard was their "best selling" Blanc de Noir sparkling wines.


2009 Blush de Noir - A refreshing white with a definitive taste of peach and subtle strawberry finish. Another great summer wine that is refreshing yet not overpowering.

2.5 of 5.
 
2009 Mostly Steel Chardonnay - This was a surprisingly crisp & well balanced steel fermented Chardonnay. Hints of grapefruit, green apple & lime give it a mild acidity but again, very well balanced and stands out among some of the better Chardonnay's I have tried.

2.5 of 5

2009 Barrel Fermented Chardonnay - I supposed it goes without saying that this wine has a distinctively oak nose and palate and posses lighter characteristics as opposed to the "Mostly Steel" outline above.

I personally enjoy the oak fermented wines, but proudly admit that the steel was more appealing to me.

2 of 5.

2008 Cacklin Rose - Every year I see more and more Roses entering the local marketplace.  And more and more I find myself enjoying these wines.  Old Field's Cacklin Rose is no exception.  This Merlot Rose whets the palate with a sweet & sour balance of cranberry & strawberry yet mildly acidic. 

The tasting notes suggest this is a perfect wine to pair with "turkey sandwiches, fish tacos or a steak right off the grill". Let's just say that I will be trying all of the above and report back on that at a later time.

3 of 5.


2006 Cabenet Franc - The Cab Franc was a bit of an anomaly for me. At first taste it was more fruity than I might have anticipated. Hits of blackberry, raspberry & cinnamon gave it somewhat of a holiday feel. 

While it was most certainly a good wine, and Cab Franc being one of my usual favorites, this one did not appeal to my usual sensibilities.

2.25 of 5
  
2004 Merlot - To be expected, this wine was more earthy than the Cab Franc. Notes of cranberry with an organic feeling oak finish made this wine stand out to me. 

If I were writing any other review, I'd most likely be touting the Cab Franc as my clear favorite and the Merlot a distant second. But in this case, it was the other way around.

2.75 of 5

Rooster Tail (Dry Red Table Wine) - I am always looking for a good red table wine to pass around at dinner and just watch everyone enjoy every last drop. But typically the stigma of the "table wine" designation tends to make people feel that they are sacrificing quality for price. While that me be the case, I feel as if a clear leader has emerged from the pack. This blend (91% Merlot, 9% Cabernet Franc) is smooth and light with notes of cherry & spice. 

This wine is great for larger, informal gatherings. No quality has been sacrificed here and I even brought a bottle home for another time.

3.25 of 5

2002 Commodore Perry Merlot - An extremely well balanced and smooth wine with a subtle fruitiness that will improve over time. An earthy, herbal nose with notes of bright blackberry, current & plum lead to a lingering rich chocolate finish.

This was my second favorite wine of the day.  You'll learn what the first was in my next post.  I was skeptical that the price and story behind the production of the Commodore Perry was a setup for me only to be eventually let down, but this wine was in no way a disappointment.  I should also mention here that a portion of the proceeds from these bottle are donated to the tsunami victims in Japan.

3.75 of 5

Aside from just the wine, I am a strong proponent of a vineyard's character and the characters that work there.  We were immediately greeted and felt like friends from the second we walked in the door.  The grounds are as inviting as the staff.  The old barn & resident family of roosters & chickens take you away from the hustle and make you feel right at home on the east end.  I really can't say enough positive things about the OFV. 

One last item of note and because it's how I pay the mortgage and can afford to take these semi-regular excursions, I feel compelled to mention that the vineyard offers movies on the lawn Thursday nights throughout the summer. The features vary from Animal House to North Shore to Stand By Me. For $5 per car this may be one of the single best recession buster values I have ever heard of. I encourage you all to take in a movie under the stars...it can't be beat.

Happy Tasting!
-E.S.




No comments:

Post a Comment