Friday, August 31, 2012

This is what happens when you try to write a wine blog and haven't been drinking.

I have not consumed a drop of alcohol in over two weeks.  Perhaps my timing could have been better but it's just a little late summer break to help cleanse the body & mind.  In the spirit of honesty, I do want a drink every single day and openly admit that I have a problem, it's called the LIRR.  Surprisingly, I have yet to cave.

Anyway...I found something interesting to write aside from silly reviews about my cheap frugal wine habits and drunken random day trips to the east end.  The WSJ was kind enough to recommend a free, yes free iPad/iPhone app for those who love wine but are perhaps too short on funds to afford paying the $1.99 average fee. It's called "Hello Vino" and is as user friendly as user friendly can be.  Hello Vino helps suggest a proper bottle of wine based on meal choice, cost, personal taste or region. It will even suggest a meal to go with a bottle you may already have in your rack. Each sub folder custom tailors choices based on your situation by asking  a series of basic questions which the HV app whittles down to a  final list of 3 distinct choices. The suggested wines are broken down into rated wines, random choices & value selections.  Each complete with a general description and average price per bottle.

Did you follow all of that?  I probably just made it more confusing than it really is.

Typically speaking, I like to do a little research before purchasing a bottle or sometimes even enjoy exploring the rows for something that peaks my interest.  Sadly, I am often in too much of a hurry to browse so this app helps take a lot of the guesswork out of choosing the right bottle of wine. It's simple and quick and is sincerely the best free wine app I've seen thus far.  If you're looking for ease, this should be your one and only stop.  But don't take it from me, download it today and see for yourself. 

Although I haven't actually tried the wines they suggest, I'll be back in the saddle soon enough.  It might be perfectly suited to help find the right wine pairing with whatever you're grilling this Labor Day.  Or it might tell you that the bottle of Boone's Farms your sketchy neighbor brought over goes great with a hot dog that was dropped on the ground.  You never know?

Until next time...

Cheers,
ES


 

No comments:

Post a Comment